Saturday, February 27, 2016

Riding the Rollercoaster

Do you ever notice that after you make a painting that you feel is not up to your standards or even a total flop that it's more difficult to begin again?  That's where I find myself these days.  After the disappointment of Along the Bosque I've been struggling to find any energy for the studio.  It doesn't help that I am getting fatigued from teaching such an intense course load at school, but working in the studio would help combat that.  Sometimes trying to be a painter is like riding a rollercoaster.
Beautiful, right?  Not happening today.  

An example of this happened today. Someone gave me some beautiful flowers and I could hardly wait to get them home and into the new silver pitcher.  I suppose I hoped they would inspire me to make some art with them.  I worked all afternoon on getting the tarnish off of the pitcher and then arranging the flowers.  When I sat down with my sketchpad and a pencil all I could feel was overwhelmed.  Sometimes my creative life is like that.  I figure most people's are.  For me, when a painting or creative endeavor goes right, I find myself filled with energy and anticipation for the next one.  However, when it doesn't go like I'd hoped, it takes time to climb back on my tall chair, scoot up to the desk and get back after it.  I'll get over it, but in the meantime I'm casting around, looking for a starting place.  And hopefully I'll find it soon.  

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: