Saturday, February 13, 2016

What I Learned- Along the Bosque

This painting has the name, Along the Bosque, but I'm also calling it finished.  It's time to move on.  I learned a very important lesson, one that I already knew, so I have no idea why I have to go over this again. Sometimes I'm one of those people who has to learn things 12 or 14 times before they stick.

With the hard reflections; I left it un-cropped to put the size of the piece into perspective.  
I usually love to use a resist or mask- it's fun and makes color layering much simpler.  Well, here is a place not to use it: in water reflections.  You'll get hard edges and if you're making soft reflections, it won't jell.  Seems like a no-brainer, huh.

Along the Bosque
Watercolor on paper
22" x 30" 
I went back in and used clean water to lift the hard edges as much as I could, then used the local color to blur where I had lifted.  It worked, but would have been best if I'd have left the mask off in the first place. So, after I'm not totally frustrated, I'll try this one again.  Okay, if I get over being frustrated, I'll try this one again.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

 

No comments: