Monday, February 22, 2016

In Which My Husband Makes Himself Very Popular at Home

We got the chance to go to the Amerind Museum on Valentines Day weekend to see our weaver friend, Porfirio Gutierrez.  Porfirio was a guest there, along with several Mata Ortiz potters. My husband inherited a Mexican textile from his father and Porfirio had asked us to bring it for him to see.  It is a poncho and in great condition and we wanted to know where it came from and how old it is.

This piece is 4 feet wide and about 7 feet long.  If you look closely, you can see the neck slit woven down the center to enable one to wear it. 
Porfirio told us it is from Central Mexico and probably from the 1960's, no dyes, just the natural wool colors and was tickled to get to look at it.  He said you don't see many of them anymore.  We love the piece and are happy to know more about it.   The highlight of being there was getting to see Porfirio's own weavings.  Not only does he make traditional patterns like his ancestors did, he makes amazing art pieces of his own.

The design is slightly different at each end. Although an original art piece, it also nods to the designs used by Gutierrez's ancestors.
From Teotitlan del Valle in Oaxaca, MX, the Gutierrez family use only plants and insects they harvest themselves to color their home-spun wool yarns.  He not only weaves, but works hard to keep the traditions of his family and region alive and in the public eye.  I feel like he is a natural fibers missionary and admire his work in all of its facets.

The camera has had a hard time getting the exact tone of the red.  Made from cochineal, a tiny bug that lives on cactus pods, the red dye is a unique color. 
When it was about time to leave, my husband saw me admiring a vibrant weaving and offered to purchase it for me as a joint Valentines Day/Anniversary gift.  Of course, I didn't say no.  I also didn't dance around and jump up and down till we got outside.  Much.

This is a bit dark, but closest to the real red of the piece
Dyed with indigo for the blue and cochineal for the vibrant, ruby red color, the simplicity of the design is stunning.  This piece is beautifully crafted by a master and something I will treasure all of my life.  If you'd like to learn more about the natural dye process or see the weaving studio of the Gutierrez family, you can start HERE. I would love for the world to know more about Porfirio and his family and the amazing weavings they produce.  Someday I am going to get a chance to visit them in Mexico and see it all in person.  Till then, I can look at and love my beautiful red rug.

Thanks for stopping by- Alice


No comments: