Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Bosque del Apache Wildlife Refuge

This week I am attending a conference on art education north of Albuquerque.  The trip to the northern part of the state today was the usual drive, usual that is until I approached the turnoff for the Bosque Del Apache Refuge.  The day was cold and breezy but sunny and I simply couldn't let it be just another day. An adventure was calling.   

South of Socorro, NM, the refuge is a great place to find some peace and quiet, fabulous varieties of waterfowl and beautiful views.  My husband is particularly fond of waterfowl, but aside from being able to tell a crane from a duck, their classifications are lost on me.  I saw the place through the eyes of a painter.  

Along with wide fields of swamp where huge flocks of cranes, ducks, geese (and crows) gather, there are more secluded places to spot the birds as well.  They seem to know they are safe there and let the people things get close to them.  I have to admit I was charmed.  

While I was sitting quietly watching, snow geese flew in to join the raucous crowd already gathered. I think I could have spent the whole day there if it were warmer outside.  It was really a spectacular sight.  
If you get to New Mexico with your binoculars and time to sit and soak up some peace, visit the refuge.  At $5.00 per car to enter, it is a bargain.  I think I could happily set up my travel painting gear and spend a whole week sitting right here.  This is a place to visit again.  

Tomorrow when I am sitting in meetings, I will likely be daydreaming of an afternoon spent in the sunshine, watching the birds.  

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

1 comment:

Anna Lisa said...

What a lovely place to visit indeed!! I agree - a nice place to sit all day and paint!