Thursday, February 25, 2016

Parker Webb- A Natural

Our youngest child, Parker Webb, sent some photos to me from college so I could see his latest work.  I love seeing what he makes when he gets absorbed in an art project.  It's been a long time since he's worked at any art as he's been living in South Africa for two years as a missionary.  The extra maturity has only added to his eye and ability, I think.  

Side view, this bust has been working its way out of Parker's system for a few weeks now, growing and changing.
Parker is the most naturally gifted artist I have ever met.  Most of us have to study hard to understand proportion, value and composition.  Not him.  He has instinctively understood these things since he was a small child.  I've loved having a front row seat to his creativity and still enjoy it.  I just think of myself as the duck that hatched a swan.  
My favorite view of this piece, it is strong with good lines. Parker has a deep love for the African people and wishes he could go back to stay.  Who knows, maybe someday he will. 
We live in a society and economy where it is difficult at best to make a living with our art.  I feel badly about that, because some people seem to have been born to make art. Parker is one of those people.  It flows out of him.  Who knows if he'll pursue an education or career in it, but in the long run, it's a great way to enrich his life, whatever he decides to do with himself.  
I don't know this man's name, but I'm sure it will be in Zulu, a language Parker loves to speak
In the meantime, I'll just keep watching from the sidelines and enjoying the show. I hope you do, too.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

3 comments:

Taylor Vearle Payne said...

This is an excellent piece of work, Parker. I think you have a special gift. You should continue to develop it.

Uncle Vearle

Alice Jo Webb said...

Thanks Uncle Vearle! Its taking me a while to get it together after 3 years of doing nothing in art. I appreciate it

Alice Jo Webb said...

(This is Parker not Alice)