Well folks, I am swallowing my pride and posting my poor Steeple Rock painting for the whole world to see. It just went wrong, I just went wrong from the get go.
So, I put the lower half into water, soaked it good and began to scrub. The wild colors came off okay, exposing the wild colors I had put on the lower layers, which weren't any better than what I washed off. Good thing this is 300lb. paper, it takes a beating. For some reason I put a layer of red over the foreground. Don't ask, I don't know! Here's what it looked like when I finally decided to start with soft pastels. This is painful.
So, the roughness of the paper was fun to work on. Knowing it was ruined was pretty liberating, I just added whatever colors sounded fun and started adding pigment! I have to say it is frustrating, but I also have to admit that I learned a LOT from this project. I will probably just spray some fixative on it and let it hang around to bug me for a few days. After that I may soak it in the bathtub and see what happens. Or burn it. Either way, I am showing my result and you may sympathize or laugh. Your choice.