Monday, February 1, 2016

Field Sketch, Working Loose and Fast

One of the fun things about working in a travel sketch book is the realization that what I am painting/drawing isn't going to be something to frame.  It's not going to be a piece that someone will want to buy and I don't need to wonder if it's good enough to show.  Right off the bat I know it is just supposed to capture the essence of something. This is probably why I enjoy doing them so much.  If they turn out great it's a bonus.  If not, I can turn the page and make something else.
South of Glenwood, NM
Watercolor and pen work
Large Moleskine travel book

This weekend I drove past one of my favorite views and just had to stop and get some photos and a quick sketch of the place.  Someday I'll take it on full-sized, but for now this is enough to get my wheels turning. When someday comes along, hopefully it'll already be worked out in my head.    

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

2 comments:

Alison said...

Beautiful! I love the way you do red rock.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Thank you, Alison. To me they are ever fascinating.