Sunday, February 28, 2016

It's a Start

This afternoon, after a much-needed nap, I decided I had to do something to pull out of the stupor I've been in.  Looking around, I decided I could do a simple block print of some of the flowers in the lovely bouquet I received yesterday.  At first it was slow, but it didn't take long to get into the swing of the project.  That's usually how it works; I drag my feet and feel slow and stupid till I get going.  Then the miracle happens and it all begins to come back.

As I learn this genre, I am amazed at how different the same plate can look in different colors.
The muse of creativity is fickle, to my way of thinking.  Maybe it's me, I don't know.  However it works, I find that it's all a matter of balance.  Easier said than done for most of us.  Keeping my job, family and other commitments met is a tall order, leaving little time or energy to dedicate to artistic endeavors.  When I'm tired and feel pulled in too many directions, sometimes I question whether I'm wasting my time out here in the studio- I could be doing easier things.  So, why do I do it?
Something about the red and white combination really makes me happy.  


The truth is, I do it because something inside of me won't leave me alone.  When I consider throwing in the towel and letting everyday life take over completely, inside myself I know it wouldn't work.  Everywhere I look I see painting compositions, amazing color combinations or light that grabs me by the heart and I know it's just part of who I am.  So, today I added another link into the continuing chain that is the story of my creative journey.  Tomorrow I'll add another.  And today I'm happy about that.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Lovely print! I would like to see some in other colors, too - that's the joy of a print; you can change around the colors as you choose :) Happy Leap Day!

Alice Jo Webb said...

Thanks, Rhonda!

Juliana said...

Thank you for not letting everyday life take over! We are all blessed by that decision. The world has enough everyday and needs more beauty and wonder and creation.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Thanks for saying so, Juliana. I agree that the world does need more beauty and introspection. Like your writing!