Monday, February 29, 2016

Grand Canyon Suite

Not much to see tonight, although I've gotten a good bit of work done.  The drawing of the Grand Canyon is now transferred to the watercolor paper and the underpainting in place, so this piece is ready to begin background work.

On 300lb. Arches cold pressed paper, this painting is 12" x 16"
Having to work from a photo isn't any fun, so I'll probably make bits up here and there and certainly use colors of my own choosing.  However, I hope to learn how to handle this complex and intimidating subject in this painting.  Or, that I never, ever want to paint the place again!  We shall see.

My reference photo
It's always fun to begin a new painting because the possibilities are wide open- it could be a masterpiece, it could be the best thing I've ever painted.  It could also be lousy.  However, if I learn from it, it'll be worth the time.  I may whine about it, but in my heart I'll know it was good for me.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: