Friday, January 1, 2016

Mellow Yellow

Great title, eh??  Wish I could say I just thought that one up, but the stinking Beatles beat me to it.  However, it works to introduce the painting I just began.  My husband and I had to meet someone for business last week, and we met in an office that was in the process of re-decorating.  Behind a chair was what looked like a Ray Hendershot print, waiting to be hung.  I didn't want to crawl around on the floor and get into things, but I dearly wanted a closer look at the picture.  I may or may not have paid less attention to the guy we were meeting than I should have...
Started on a full sheet, this piece will be a challenge.  If I don't pull it off on try 1, then I'll just have to try again; it's too interesting to give up on.

What caught my eye about it, well what I could see of it, was the color of the sky area.  It was a deep, bright, in-your-face yellow.  The kind of yellow New Gamboge makes.  It was stunning.  Sadly, I never got as good a look at it as I wanted, but hoped I could look up his work on Google Images and get a better shot at it.  Sadly, I'm not finding that one anywhere.  Regardless, I started a scene I've been thinking of for several years- yep, you guessed it- with a yellow sky.  I'm not as bold yet, nor as brave as the artist who painted that glorious yellow, but it's a start.  Now I just have to decide how much yellow to let bounce around the rest of the paper as I go.  Very much excited to get after it.

Thanks for stopping by!  Alice

No comments: