Wednesday, January 13, 2016

"Archisketcher" by Simone Ridyard

These past few days my evening reading material has been Archisketcher, by Simone Ridyard.  Although I'm not finished with it and probably won't be for some weeks to come, I wanted to get a review up in case you are looking for a fun art book to read.  Oh, by the way, the reason I won't be finished with it for some time is that it's a book to savor, not devour. Emphasis on savor!

Delivered by my trusty FedEx man, these came last week
Written about urban sketching, Ridyard doesn't take a lot of time to teach drawing concepts that go with landscapes and architecture, although she does skim over them to give a novice an idea of how to draw buildings and city scenes with some skill.  This book is less of an in-depth how to and more of an overview.  Well, an overview with some seriously delicious eye candy by way of the paintings shown.

One feature repeated throughout the book is a landmark painted/sketched by different artists.  Getting to see how each handles the subjects is fascinating and educational
For myself, the text is perfectly illustrated by the artists Ridyard highlights.  I'm learning quite a bit and generating some exciting ideas by studying the illustrations.  More, I think, than I would have from more words/less pictures.  These little paintings are real gems.  The only trouble I'm having is a bit of a struggle going to work instead of hopping directly into my car and heading for bright lights-big city with sketchbook and paints in hand.
The artwork featured is this quality all the way through

If you are looking for a motivator that doesn't require a big investment of your tired little brain in reading new concepts, find this book and own it.  A few pages and your mind will light up all circuits.  It's a quick overload for me because the work she chose to illustrate her points with is top notch- I don't want to just look at them and turn the page, I spend a lot of time on them.  And look at one or two more, then place my bookmark back in and put it away.  For an hour or so, then go pick it back up and drool some more.

You know you want to read it!  
Another bonus of Ridyard's book is getting introduced to artists who's work I have not seen before.  I love Shari Blaukopf and follow her blog religiously- one of the artists featured.  Tia Boon Sim, Josiah Hanchett and  Chris Lee's work have all caught my eye as well, not to mention some very nice work by Ridyard herself.  I'm excited to see more of their work on their websites.



This wonderful book will keep my mind spinning for weeks.  Well worth the money I paid for it.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: