Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The "Scary" Brush

In Ray Hendershot's book, Texture Techniques for Winning Watercolors, he shows what he calls his "scary brush." It's a hog bristle fan brush he has cut hairs out of to make it shaggy on the end. After I read his book the first time I knew I had to try a scary brush. Not having a fan brush I could use, I dug around and found an old watercolor one I didn't mind altering.

I LOVE this book, I learn every time I open it
It was simple to make and has been a useful tool since.  When I remember I have it, that is.  I just splayed the brushes out on a flat surface and dropped a bit of acrylic medium onto the base where the bristles exit the ferrule, then held it there till they dried.  Once that stuff dries, it's permanent.

My scary brush
It makes vegetation pretty easy to paint, especially grasses and the kinds of things that grow around here.  I've been using it to get my middle ground in place in the latest painting. The vegetation looks like vegetation, which isn't something I can always pull off.  You know- those times I totally forget the scary brush and mess up yet another landscape.  Actually, I'm beginning to feel like I'm starting to improve on the accursed things.  Thank goodness.

The textures 
Tonight I managed to get the color and texture in place so I can start the foreground.  I'm chugging along on this one.  Like a snail.  But I am chugging!
Progress.  Well, not much, but some

Thanks for stopping by- Alice





No comments: