Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Meanwhile, a Chair is Born

While I've been trying to work my way through the last painting, my husband has been out in his shop working on his latest project.  The doors to our work spaces are just a few feet apart, so we make a lot of trips back and forth, asking for opinions or an extra pair of hands.  He's been getting a chair out of his system for two weeks.  And what a chair it is, too.

Waiting for the last coat of finish
Several years ago we built a house, and in the course of things, had a crew of plasterers from Mexico hanging around for a few weeks.  They were wonderful guys; I think they played cops and robbers with our boys as much as they plastered.  By the end of the job, we were sad to see them go.  Before they left, the boss of the crew gave my husband the gift of two fat slabs of mesquite wood he had milled in Mexico from huge trees. What a beautiful thing to do.

The little square cut-out details are, to me, perfect
That wood has been waiting for just the right project all these years, and it was worth the wait.  An Arts and Crafts style chair out of a southwestern variety of wood.  I'm so proud to have it sitting in my living room.  Another example of the boundaries between art and craft blurring- and of the beautiful work my man does.  

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: