Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Conoco

Looking at how this piece is coming along, nobody would accuse me of being an expert in hot-pressed watercolor paper.  I'm so used to the properties of 300 lb., cold-pressed paper that I may be ruined for anything else.  However, I do have to say that if you are using pen and ink with watercolor, this paper surface is a beautiful thing.
Sky wash, take 1.  Not so good, Al.

I've ruined more good drawing pens on bumpy watercolor paper than I want to remember. The fiber of cotton rag paper seems to be death to a pen tip.  While making a smooth wash on it has proven to be a skill I still lack, the pen glides over the paper perfectly.

Sky wash, take 2 and final round.  It will have to do.  If I add any more layers, it'll be too dark.
This is tricky stuff, but I'm enjoying doing this little piece quite a bit.  I chose this paper so that I could use it with pen and ink and get an "urban sketching" look, but in a larger format.  I actually like the blotchy look of the sky wash.  It has an immediacy that looks fresh to me.  It feels like a fun thing instead of a big project. A no-pressure sort of painting.

The answer to yesterday's question about masking hot-pressed paper is- it masks beautifully.  Comes off great.
Hopefully I'll get better at using this painting surface.  At least I'll enjoy trying.  Who knows? Maybe I'll learn a few new tricks that will add to my painting repertoire.  You never can tell.
"Conoco"
Watercolor and ink on paper
11" x 8.5"

In any event, this was fun and relaxing to do.  Just what the Dr. ordered after a busy day.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice






No comments: