Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Hot Pressed Paper

Every time I see a scene that catches my eye, usually a bit of a vignette, I try to get a photo or sketch of it.  Old buildings, rough textures, worn surfaces- all pull my eye to themselves like a compass needle to the North.  I've been keeping a file of these images for "someday" when I'm ready to do a series of them.

Ready to transfer the image to the painting surface with a favorite tool- transfer paper.
Lately, my mind has been going over how to make working in the studio more practical while I'm running this crazy schedule I find myself in.  I loved doing the last painting, but feel that some instant gratification would be helpful right now.  As I puzzled over how to make this happen, my collection of odd bits and pieces occurred to me.  Eureka! I can work on a small piece and try something new all at once.  It must be "someday."

That is mask you see; who knows if it comes off of hot-pressed paper?  I guess we'll all know soon as I made a mistake and have to remove it and put it back on right. 
After supper I sat down to draw out the first one.  Waiting for the mask to dry, I realized I'm pretty pumped about this.  In fact, I think I'll get off of the computer (my great time-waster) and look at how I want this thing to go.  Being on hot-pressed paper makes it a big experiment.  Not having used it much, I have a lot to learn.  Here we go, off and running.  Well, off, at least..

.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: