Saturday, January 2, 2016

Painting Is Performance Art??

Looking at the processes other artists use is fascinating to me.  I always learn something from looking at the way someone accomplishes a finished piece of artwork.  Learning from a finished piece is important and something I spend a lot of time trying to do, but seeing the actual process is even more helpful.
As I was adding mask to the house area I dripped a big glop of it onto the lower section of the paper.  I figured I'd just wait till it dried and then use my eraser to get it off.  Lo and behold, it wasn't clear dry and took a chunk out of the paper.  I've never had that happen before.  Hopefully, I can work around it somehow. 

In a similar way, keeping a record of my process is important and instructive, too.  I find myself immersed in a project and then suddenly feel a need to photograph what I'm doing.  Stopping to snap a photo or two of the piece doesn't distract me, in fact I find it has become just another part of my creative flow.  I set my camera back down and pick the brush back up and keep on going.  After I finish for that painting session I take a look at what was accomplished and how the work is progressing.  I'm not sure when I began to include recording the process, but it's a part of it all now.
Adding a bit of yellow as an underpainting

In a recent blog post by artist Donald Fox I read this: Pretty much all painting is a kind of performance piece with the finished painting standing as a record of that performance. What?? I had to stop and think about it, but quickly realized that I incorporate that same idea, but had never understood why.  How I paint is as important to me as what.  Having evidence of my process in photos is a recording of my performance- the act of creating a picture, a painting that has been born from something in my very own little mind.

Fun how the beginnings of the far distant vegetation sets the house shape back.
I have no idea whether being more aware of this aspect of my art will impact my work in any way, but it is interesting to think on.  Instead of feeling sheepish about the files and files of photos of my works in progress, I will own them with an understanding of why I do.  As I slowly work my way through this piece I will probably be thinking on this idea more.  And recording it.  It is a performance, even if it's just for me.  

Thanks for stopping by! Alice



No comments: