Thursday, January 7, 2016

Review: Art Before Breakfast

As you may know, I am a Danny Gregory fan.  His book, Creative License, is one of my all-time favorite art reads.  Gregory started a whole lot of people on art journaling and made a real impact on my drawing skills and ideas about what art is.  Anytime someone asks me to recommend a book about art, that's the first one that comes up.  It's a motivator.  


Fun cover, Kindle version of the book
His latest book, Art Before Breakfast has been on my books-to-read-as-soon-as-I-get-time list for weeks.  Recently, I took a little 'me' time and climbed in bed to do just that.  (A favorite reading spot)
My favorite drawing out of the whole book.  I love this.  
It is a fast read, lots of pictures and little text.  The point of this book is to help someone who feels they may not have time to draw see that they actually do.  The sketches are not the best examples of Gregory's work.  The things Gregory had to say were pretty much what he's said before in other books, just a condensed version of it all.  I maintain- if you want an art book that will get you motivated and going on a simple art path, go buy a copy of Creative License.  It has better writing, better visuals and will make a real impact.  This little book misses the mark, dang it.  
Another page, an example of the sparse text format
It pains me to say it, but this book feels like a slap-dash attempt to squeeze more money out of what has already been said.   And that makes me sad.  Save your money and invest it in another sketch book, my friends.  

Thanks for stopping by! Alice 

No comments: