Thursday, January 14, 2016

Foreground, Faithfully Doing its Job

Getting tired of looking at this thing yet?  I'm getting tired of not making more progress, so we're in the same boat.  I will finish it.  I will.

The lightest value foreground grass shapes are masked, helping me see how the vegetation will push the house back
As I have begun work on the foreground, I can see the background receding to take its rightful place in the distance. When the house shape is the only object on the page, it and the sky seem very important.  However, I can see how this will change as the vegetation in front takes shape.  An old, gnarly mesquite will be a fun thing to paint and should do the trick of putting the whole thing in perspective.  Now I use the word "should" on purpose.  If anyone can paint this to death, it's me.

Having fun making grass shapes with the mask pen
The ability to kill a perfectly good landscape is one of my specialties.  However, I keep coming back for more.  Cross your fingers, or yourself or the road or something- maybe this will be the one I finally figure this genre out on.

Thanks for stopping by- Alice