Friday, January 9, 2015

When Getting Into a Rut is a Great Idea

Years ago I read an article by an artist who had spent 3 years of his life painting trees.  I was flabbergasted.  I figured he was in a total rut and hoped I'd never get into one.  That was before I started to paint cacti.  I have to admit I've learned more from painting my cactus series than from any class I've ever taken.  

Acquiring an identifiable style, one that causes people to say, "That's an ____(your name here)______ painting!" comes from painting in a series.  The more we explore one subject, the stronger our work will become.  

Having a Ball with Poppies, Watercolor on Ampersand Board, 8" x10" 
Enter Jennifer Redstreake.  Her Ball jars are a great example of painting in a series.  I first became aware of her work on the popular painting forum, Wetcanvas.  It caught my eye not only because of how well executed it is but because of the creative way she handles her subject.  She says- 
"The challenge, for me, painting ball jars with things INSIDE them is two fold - reflections in glass is hard enough but painting reflections in combination with objects behind them is quite another. I love adding to the complexity which creates an almost abstract look to the painting, especially in the creation stage. As I am painting the lettering of the jar, all the forms and shapes lose their meaning and are completely complex. The lego people, TARDIS, flowers, etc. are meaningless as I get up close and break shapes down into colors. What pigments to mix with what and how many layers do I need to add where… all the while challenging my aquabord. And when I step back to look at the painting as a whole, it is like magic… it all comes together and I have to say, WOW… that looks crazy amazing! I painted THAT. That was HARD! Now what can I do NEXT?! When I lose the ability to say that, I am done with the jars.”
Had a Ball, 3, Watercolor on Aquaboard, 5" x 7"

Jennifer's paintings have been shown in the Tennessee Valley and are in 4 galleries.  If you'd like to see more of her work or find a gallery where you can view it in person, you can find her on Facebook and at http://redstreake.com.  


Trapped! Ball Jar with Iron Man & Pepper | watercolor on aquabord | 12 x 18"

For you Whovians out there, check out this treasure: 


Landed in the Wrong Place, Watercolor on Aquaboard 12" x 9"
Using the tool of working in a series is a powerful way to grow ourselves creatively and develop unique styles of work.  I know that when my cacti are exhausted, I will be hunting for a new concept to explore. I just hope that when that time comes I can hit on something as dazzling as Jennifer Redstreake has.      

2 comments:

Anna Lisa said...

With so many species of cacti...it's a long road :) Hope to see many many more!

Alice Jo Webb said...

I imagine you will, Anna Lisa! They're fascinating, aren't they?