Monday, January 19, 2015

A Mystery

Have you ever painted something that almost felt like it painted itself? Like maybe it just flowed out of your mind, right down your arm and onto your canvas or paper?  Okay, I know it sounds weird, but I have had that experience.  The first time was right at the beginning of my artistic journey.  

In 1991 I took my first watercolor class and immediately loved the medium. We painted a monochromatic piece, then another using only two colors and finally got to use a full palette.  I got the kids to bed one night, taped a piece of paper to my kitchen table and whipped this thing out in two hours.  It came from who knows where and was absolutely exhilarating.  I thought all paintings would go just like that.  Hahaha!!

Painted from a photo torn out of an old National Geographic Magazine
The Potter
Watercolor on paper
14" x 21"


Over the past 24 years since that time I have made paintings that thrilled me and ones that filled me with despair, but this one is precious to me as a reminder that I have instincts that I am not even aware of most of the time and if I allow them to lead me I can do great things now and then.  Have a happy sort of day and thanks for stopping by!  

2 comments:

Marquette said...

This one is still my very favorite painting of yours. I loved it as a kid and I love it still, and I'm sure I always will.

Anna Lisa said...

I am so glad you shared about this experience. I have a mentor here in Texas who refers to this as a moment when "a painting falls off the brush". They are wonderful moments. I am glad to know I'm not alone in my struggles.... :)