Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Selling Art

A few semesters ago I took a class on the business side of being a artist.  At the time I hated it.  Isn't it funny how things that are hard for us often turn out to be of real benefit to us down the road?  I got solid knowledge from that course, most of which came from the required text.

Don't let the boring cover fool you, this book is full of great stuff!
The book,  The Artist's Guide: How to Make a Living Doing What You Love is worth its weight in gold.  Written by Jackie Battenfield, it is worth buying for anyone who has a dream, but particularly for those who want to sell their art.  Section One, Taking Charge of Your Professional Life, talks about goal setting.  It helped me see that whatever my vision is for my future, it has to be mapped out more precisely than I previously understood.  She then offers solid help on how to set it up.

As a result, I set real, reachable goals.  I won't bore you with them, or the plan I've made, but I will say this: I'm making progress.  I think I'd still be making pictures and just wishing someone would buy them if Battenfield hadn't been so clear about how to move beyond that.  It takes a plan, it takes pinning down dates to achieve those goals by and it makes one feel they can succeed.  Thank you, Jackie Battenfield!  (And Professor Abbot)

I reached one of those steps on my plan yesterday.  I'm so tickled to announce my new shop, Whatercolorit.  Just click on the name and go see it for yourself. There you will be able to see what paintings I currently have for sale, and, coming soon, products featuring my work.  I hope you'll check back now and then to see what is new.

If you are looking for ideas on moving forward in your work, pick up a copy of this book and use it; you won't be sorry!

 


No comments: