Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Discouragement is a Dull Companion

Monday I created the ugliest cacti painting ever made on this earth. Really!  I am still smarting from the experience.  Times like this try my resolve to paint.  In fact, yesterday I didn't paint at all.  I decided to rectify another ugly mess instead.  

I started a rug on my Navajo loom this past summer and the higher it got, the less I liked it.  I may have a finish-every-painting policy but I sure as heck don't have a finish-every-rug policy.  You can tell because I've never finished a rug on it yet.  Sigh.. 

Navajo loom, warp and ugly weft, coming undone

I have beautiful yarns to use so who knows why I chose ugly ones to start with?  After I get it all off I'll tighten my warp and begin again.  Who knows? Maybe I'll finish it.  Goodness knows, there has to be a first rug, right?  If it is wonky, I'll just say, "Oh, I did that one when I was a raw beginner.  Last week."  

This evening I thought of a scene I love to look at and got the watercolors out again.  This has not cheered up my mood.  Here is a shot of progress so far:  

The only thing keeping me from jumping up and down on this is the thought that the windmill will at least be fun to paint.  

As a painter I realize that there are ups and downs.  Knowing it doesn't make those times any more fun, but I will recover, turn out an eye dazzling piece and be on top of the world again one of these days.  In the meantime, I will pull up my socks and push forward with this psychedelic gem because if I don't I know it will be more difficult to get back at it again.  Hopefully, I'll be working from a better place tomorrow.  Or, I'll be under my bed with a carton of ice cream.   Whatever... 

2 comments:

Juliana said...

Nothing wrong with a little psychedelic now and then! Or a little ice cream, either, for that matter...

Jo Castillo said...

Lovely sketch, I'm longing for the desert now.