Sunday, March 20, 2016

Why I Love Watercolor

It's maddening at times, temperamental and tricky.  It runs when you don't want it to and stubbornly won't run when you do.  It makes 'cauliflowers" and dries paler than you laid it down.  Getting the darkest darks is a matter of luck and layering and, as my dad used to say, holding your tongue right.  
I never tire of watching the wet color move around till it's dry and has to stay put.  
I love painting with it, though.  My eyes scan the walls in a gallery for the watercolor paintings and go right to them, pulling me over to see what the artist has done.  I can't resist the medium. 

The color at the top of this has been seeping into the neighboring shapes, making a little stained-glass look along the needle bits.
Even though watercolors are difficult at times, they do wonderful things.  They let the white of the paper help them look luminous, at times as though they have been lighted from behind.  And the best part is when they do their own thing and make a beautiful, surprising passage in a picture. 

Getting the supporting cast in place so the stars can shine brighter

Lest you think me narrow, oils and pastels are also fun to me.  They layer like a dream and are thick and rich to use.  I always enjoy playing with both. However, after I've worked with them for awhile, coming back to the watercolors is like putting on a well-worn pair of jeans.  To me, they feel right.  Drive me crazy or fill me with joy, I am a watercolor girl.  

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: