Saturday, March 5, 2016

What if Van Gogh Saw the Grand Canyon?

On my way home from work yesterday it occurred to me that I could now play with my Grand Canyon painting with no worries of ruining it.  It was already ruined, so what did I have to lose?  What if it were covered with marker strokes in pretty colors??  I was too pooped to even start, but this morning my eyes popped open at 5:00 and the studio was calling my name.  Funny how hard it is to wake up on school days that early..
At this point, I decided this one might be worth finishing after all

Using Faber Castell's Pitt Artist pens, I waded in.  Within about 2 minutes I was feeling the energy flow and loving the color.  Maybe I've hit on a new technique I can use in other places, as well.  Having some dark and light tones laid in with watercolor underneath the pen marks is a fun look. I'm hooked.

Adding more shadow areas to the fore and back ground areas will help tie it all together as the marks are laid down.
However, like most Saturdays for working girls, there were more things pulling on me than just hiding out in the studio.  It's all good.  This will be drawing me back with its siren song.  And I'll be ready.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

2 comments:

Anna Lisa said...

VERY FUN!!! Loving this!

Alice Jo Webb said...

Me too, thank goodness!