Thursday, March 10, 2016

Using a Split Complimentary

Violet and yellow are not color combinations I usually use, but decided to try them out on this piece just for the fun of it.  The scheme of split complementaries is one I enjoy, I just haven't played around with this particular one much before.  I'm liking it.

A split complimentary color scheme; it's surprising how many subtle tones can be mixed from these few colors.
No Pthalo Blue this time, either, which is a departure from my usual M.O.  The three colors I'm using are Ultramarine Blue, Cadmium Yellow Deep and Permanent Alizarin Crimson.  The grey they have mixed is warm and quite brown, a good tone for this part of the world.  It's closer to our dirt color than other grey/browns I've mixed before, so one I'll return to in the future.

No idea for a title yet, but this is only 12" x 16" so should go pretty fast
The low hills with vegetation on them are the backdrop of our lives in Southern New Mexico, while old ranch houses like this one tend to be more functional than decorative.  As you know, I am an old house junkie and this one is particularly appealing to me.  Of course, being local, there will be mesquites in it somewhere.  I'm enjoying letting this unfold and planning the different bits as I go- a relief from a full day!

Thanks for stopping by- Alice




No comments: