Saturday, July 18, 2015

Virtual Student, Katie Kellogg

When my phone rings late at night I know it's my virtual art student, Katie Kellogg.  She's also my daughter.  After her little ones are in bed she can spend time on her art- and when she has questions, she calls.  I look forward to those conversations.  It's very fun to have a kindred spirit in the family and have the chance to pass on what I know to one of my children.

9" x 12" -'Strawberry in colored pencil'
A fiber artist for most of her adult life, Kellogg is now pursuing colored drawing with a passion that drives her to learn and excel at it.  She uses colored pencils, Inktense water-soluble pencils and Caran D' Ache water-soluble sticks.  When she first began, I posted some of her work here.  It is fun to see her style emerging when you compare her earlier work with this.

9" x 12"  -'Pepper Pile'
The pieces that are emerging are like her, bright and intense, focusing in on the essence of her subjects.  Layering color, Katie is creating new tones that are at once eye popping and something all her own.  Of course, I'm her mother, so I'm supposed to be all agog at her work.  However, I think you'll agree that she is making something wonderful.

9" x 12" -'The Plums Emily Didn't Eat'
My favorite of this batch, this thing is where Katie began to understand underpainting
What makes me happiest is that she is finding her way to her own vision at a much earlier age than I did/am.  I dream of someday having a show of my work mixed with that of my children and hopefully even grandchildren.  Wouldn't that be an accomplishment?!

9" x 12" -'Time For Banana Bread'
Thanks for stopping by! Alice