Friday, July 10, 2015

Musings From the Passenger Seat

When we travel we generally take the scenic route. Although this method usually takes longer, I love the chance it gives me to spend enforced sitting and thinking time. I always bring a book along, but who can read when there are incredible things to see?  Sitting and mulling over new ideas is something I usually only have time for in that inspirational haven- the shower and that is only good as long as the hot water heater holds out!  In the car, I can take out the worries and ideas that have been lurking in the back of my mind and get a good look at them, putting them into perspective.

Sitting quietly by the side of the road, this ruin was like a little gem stuck into the fold of the rocks. Of course we had to scramble up and take a peek.  
The chance to ponder, paired with new experiences, is an opportunity to widen my focus. Seeing new vistas gives me something to contrast against the country I live in, letting me see different kinds of light and color palettes to add to familiar ones.  There are so many beautiful and inspiring places to see in this old world. A friend once told me she'd rather have a new sofa than a trip to see a new place.  The thought was foreign to me because the chance to travel is always exciting to me. When adventure calls, who cares what your couch looks like?  
The view greeting us as we pull into our own valley, reminding me that here is good too.  For now..

The things I've seen and learned over the past 10 days won't instantly change me or my paintings, but they will enrich both. They will color and shape what I produce in their own ways, and that makes my tired bum and dirty clothes heap well worth it.  

Thanks for stopping by! Alice




No comments: