Wednesday, July 8, 2015

In Which We Visit a Museum..

...and it rocks my world. 

I have to show you a painting I spent some time sitting, standing and gawping in front of today.  Painted by Anton Jesse Rasmussen, One Eternal Round was painted in oil on canvas.  The size wasn't listed by the museum I visited today, but this is huge.  Each panel is about 8 feet tall and maybe 4 feet wide.  This painting has stirred me deeply, but it's going to take some processing to understand my reaction to it.  The docent at the Springille, Utah Art Museum gave me permission to photograph it as long as it is not used for profit.  No photograph can do this thing justice, but you can get the idea from it.  


The colors he chose to paint this scene with stunned me.  I couldn't walk away, in fact I got up close to see how he used his colors then back again to see how the brush work blended the detail and then back up close again.  I am humbled by the sheer color skill and in your face handling of the subject.  A landscape so grand and bold is done justice by the handling of this artist.  I take my hat off to the man!  I think I'll go home and finish my cactus painting and then get out some red paint.  


Tomorrow we leave this amazing place, but with some serious inspiration, not only from the incredible country of this state, but her artists as well.  

Thanks for stopping by!  Alice




2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Being so large and having the depth it does, one almost wants to walk into the painting itself - perhaps that's part of the pleasure of it = the viewer's almost intimate participation in the art! I love the rocks and canyons and valleys of southern Utah - they can fill an artist's mind for months to come! Will be looking for those red paintings from you :)

Alice Jo Webb said...

The size of it, the scope of the subject and the sheer power of the reds make this thing a force to be reckoned with!