Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Brown Paper Book Block

Last week I started binding a new sketchbook. Today I finally had time to work on it again.  Starting a new project during the holidays isn't the best recipe for getting something finished in a timely manner.

The book block marked and ready to be pierced for the stitching holes
While sewing signatures together I've been thinking on how to make the cover.  Being made of grocery sacks, the book isn't exactly heirloom quality, but I keep thinking what a fun contrast it would make to bind it with a leather spine and a classy paper of some kind.

Laying the book block over a board helps hold the signatures together so the holes will be exact
On the other hand, binding the book with a recycled material would be a nice finish for this project as well.  Old maps or book pages with their text at an interesting angle would give it a 'shabby chic' sort of feeling.

The board I use to hold the signatures for piercing 
The possibilities are fun to think about.  Kind of like looking forward to a special treat at the end of a long day. Thinking it all over is as fun as doing the work.

The first signature laying against the linen supports which are taped to the edge of my table. Each signature will be sewn to the supports and the growing book block
With 72 pages in the book I'll have plenty of space for experiments on the brown paper.  I've been playing around with white, silver and gold gel pens on the scraps, along with calligraphy pens and Micron Pigma pens.  Charcoal or pastel pencils would be fun on the tone of the paper, too.
About half-way done sewing signatures together

The printing from the outsides of the paper bags covers some of the pages entirely.  I think I might put gesso on one or two of them to see how that works out.  Collage comes to mind as well...

The book block all sewn and ready to be bound into its cover. The linen supports will hold the pages firmly in the cover.
As you can tell, I am enjoying this little project.  It's not even finished yet and it's already a joyful thing.  I'll tuck it into the book press till I get the cover figured out.  In the meantime, I have no shortage of projects to work on.  Ideas are flowing in my head so fast this week that they are getting tangled up.  Amazing what a little break from work can do!

Thanks for stopping by- Alice




2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I think I am as excited about this project as you are!! Don't forget to bring out that gouache for those brown paper bags, too :) I couldn't find my second kraft paper journal but found a lot of toned paper to use this year.

Alice Jo Webb said...

If you're anything like me, you'll not find it till you buy another one!