Saturday, December 12, 2015

Hidden Treasures.. Sort of

When I come across articles about taking time to finish projects from days gone by I usually get a smug "I don't have any of those, thank goodness" feeling and turn the page.  Well, lo and behold, I do have any of them.  Three, to be exact:  Today I got all the way to the back of the cupboard I have been dreading. Everything I've ever woven and didn't know what to do with was there, along with my long-missing quilt frame clamps and a tiny vise I use when I'm in jewelry mode.  In the very back, folded and carefully tucked away were three projects I had completely forgotten.

My husband is a builder of houses and this thought from the Book of Job has always been a favorite with him.  
The first is a wall hanging I started to help me learn how to use acrylic inks on fabric.  I had fun plans for how to finish it. Before I could do that, we moved.  So, I folded it up and tucked it into the back of the cupboard so I would know where it was when I got my sewing machine set up.  Then promptly began a heavy semester of school and forgot all about it.

Now that I've found this, I'm going to have to finish it.  
The second is a quilt top I made for our bed.  It's lovely and bright and going to be so warm to sleep under- when we are 90- if I keep on it at this rate.  If I remember right, I couldn't decide whether to tie it or quilt it and set it aside while I decided.  I must still be deciding, because I had no idea that I even owned a quilt top.  Might be a good idea to see if I can hire someone to finish it and be done. I can tell myself I'll do it over my Christmas break, but I suspect I'd be lying.

Son number 4 and his wife are expecting their first baby this next year. Maybe this will be for them! 
The third is a baby quilt I started as a surprise when our first grandchild was announced.  After I was nearly done with it, our daughter mentioned she really hated heart designs and I quietly folded it up and put it away.  No matter that we've gotten 6 more granddaughters since then- the quilt has never been bound and used.  Why?  I have no idea.  My dog ate my momentum?

I had such a good time making this, how could I have forgotten all about it?  
So, now I have a trashed studio and three projects to give me guilt.  Isn't that nice?  I'd better get back to work and get this place finished.  So, dear readers, if you are avoiding something like this, take my advice and keep avoiding it!!  

Thanks for stopping by- Alice




2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Avoidance is a virtue! ha ha These all look so good, I know you'll finish them when you are good and ready - no time for guilt and stress now, there's enough of that around this time of year!

Alice Jo Webb said...

Isn't that the truth!