Thursday, December 10, 2015


Even though the first prints I made were dark and wobbly, I am still interested in putting lino prints and watercolor together.  The idea fascinates me.  This evening I sat down with the print I made before and started to add color.  
Even though it's an even bigger mess after I re-activated the ink, I can see I'm going to love this look
First lesson of adding watercolor to a print: use waterproof ink!  As I began to lay in a wash, the ink picked right up, making any color I wanted to add a nice, dark grey.  I took a look at the tube with my glasses on and yep, it's marked "water soluble."  Genius.  
Idyllwild, linocut with watercolor, 12" x 12", 2015 by Matthew Wattlaufer

Artist Matthew Wattlaufer does some terrific work with prints and watercolor that I've been admiring.  I'll insert a link in case you'd like to look at more of his images. They're worth studying.  I have so much to learn about all of this.  For me, the most effective learning strategy is to roll up my sleeves and wade in.  Hopefully this learning technique will eventually get me where I want to be and not just all wet.   

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: