Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Plain Brown Paper

Lately I've been wishing for a plain brown paper sketch book.  You can buy them, but from what I can tell, the paper is thin and won't hold up to a lot of working over.  What I want is a sketchbook made from the sort of brown paper I get at the grocery store.  Heavy, wrinkled, creased and rustic.
Charcoal on brown paper, a very satisfying combination

While in Tucson last week I went to Arizona Art Supply to look for one.  I was disappointed in the selection and quality of the paper in what books they had.  I guess there's not much demand for that sort of thing.  When we artist types are on the prowl for new supplies, if we are anything like me, we tend to look for new, crisp, shiny and exciting toys, not shabby worn out ones.  Of course, that's just my theory..
After being cut apart, the paper is still trying to hold the shape it had back when it was a grocery bag.

It occurred to me, as I was standing there- as if looking hard and long enough the perfect book would be there- that I could make the perfect book.  Duh.  I just wanted it now.  Not later.  A concept I have been trying to tame for over 50 years now.  With sad results, I might add.

After being ironed on the highest setting, the creases are still visible, but the paper is laying flat
So, I came home and dug out the brown paper sacks I hoard.  When I want to try out an idea, sometimes brown paper is just the vehicle for that process.  I have a thing for it.  At the grocery store I never take my own bags, I ask for paper ones instead-  fully aware that the cashier is looking at me like a tree-hating monster.  I don't care, it's great art paper and there is nowhere else to get it.

I cut each opened up bag into quarter, getting four sheets.  Each sheet will be folded in half, so I got 8 book pages per bag. 
The book binding process isn't a fast one.  It's a meditative one though, and I enjoy it.  When I have time for it, which hasn't been for the past 4 years.  The steps are coming back to me a bit at a time and I'm excited for the book to be finished.

Folded in half, ready to be stacked in signatures and cut to the right size
Just having it done to this point is giving me little thrills of anticipation.  I will most likely sleep with it a few nights, carry it around with me and savor it before the drawings begin to form in my mind.  That's all part of the fun!

The printing from the outside of the bag is part of what I like.  There will be pages with logos on them that I'll have to plan to incorporate or work around.  I like that.
This book isn't for a grade or to be looked at in my living room. (which wouldn't work anyway; I have 200-ish grandkids) It's for me.  Now there's a concept.  What fun!  A bonus of not worrying about getting famous so I can make a living from my art.

The signatures, trimmed and ready to be sewn together- calling my name!
Hopefully this book can get finished right after Christmas and all the festivities with our family are done.  In the meantime, there are kids to hug and food to be cooked and gifts to wrap.  I hope things are happy at your house.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice









2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I was going to suggest kraft paper books, but this is even better! I love it and it fits perfectly with my own need to reuse and let my art become less precious. I may dig out that kraft paper sketchbook and join you as I also want to do more drawing this coming year. Wishing you good holiday memories with your family and time to make and use this new book before school begins again.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Cool, I'll be watching for your brown paper thoughts! Hopefully, next week is for that very thing; playing in my studio. Merry Christmas, Rhonda.