Thursday, December 3, 2015

The First Print

A few weeks ago I began to cut into a piece of linoleum in hopes of learning printmaking enough to teach it at school.  You can see the start here.  Notice in the comment section mention of Alison's blog and after you've read this, go  see her images.  They are mostly paper cuts, but look like linoleum prints.  They inspired me.  You should check them out if this process interests you.

The linoleum all cut (to heck) and ready to begin inking
Of course I chose a difficult subject to begin with.  What else would I do?  The next one will be simple till I figure out how to handle the knives and 'see' in negative as I cut.

Instead of an old adobe building, I have a haunted house!! LOL
The idea that intrigues me the most is adding color to a print with watercolor after it dries.  That and using a (good) print I've made for a book cover or theme.   Boy do I have a lot to learn.  This medium is more difficult than it looks on Youtube, (duh) but is fascinating.  Must start again. Must start again...

Thanks for stopping by!  Alice

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

It looks pretty good to me, but you're right about how complicated it is - I'm not sure I'd be able to think in negative without a lot of experience! You might check out Belinda del Pesco - she does a lot of this with adding color after and you might get some ideas from her site.

Anonymous said...

I will check her out, thanks for the tip!