Monday, September 21, 2015

What's In A Name?

A few years ago, the local fire department had to spend a percentage of new building funds on art. The state had a database of artists who had been through the application process to have their paintings considered. The committee choosing the artwork for the county fire department came across works by Alice Webb and were thrilled to purchase local work, or so they thought!  It was actually who I have come to call the fake Alice Webb. No, not my paintings at all. The fake Alice paints in oils and is from Albuquerque. It causes confusion at Santa Fe Art Supply as well and I even got a congratulatory phone call after the state fair one year when one of her paintings placed. 

One of the paintings by the other Alice Webb, it IS lovely. 

Today I got a call telling me my painting had sold. Instead of going to the fairgrounds to pick it up, I headed home, glad to get a jump on the long drive. On the way home, I was thrilled for about two hours. Then, I got to thinking.  After a couple of phone calls, I realized that not only did I not sell it, I was halfway home without it!  What a day. I think I'll play in pools closer to home from now on. It will all end well- my friend will hold onto it till I can make other arrangements. But what a bother. 

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Oh, dear! Time to think of perhaps using initials or your middle name or something? I wouldn't want to always be confused with this artist (even if she is good) because then you can never truly make a name for yourself. I wouldn't do that if it weren't that you both enter the same shows, etc...so just a suggestion. Maybe just do like Vincent did and go by ALICE :)

Alice Jo Webb said...

I did!! Still got mixed up!

RH Carpenter said...

Well, goodness! Maybe you'll have to write your name as ALICE the Watercolor Artist Supreme!! ha ha Do you think they know the difference between watercolor and oils?

Alice Jo Webb said...

I'm kind of toying with Your Majesty...