Saturday, September 19, 2015

Location, Location, Location

Today we went to the New Mexico State Fair to take a look at the paintings in the fine arts building. The quality of the paintings, engravings, sculptures and other work is outstanding. I love looking at the paintings there every year because I learn so much from them. 

The building the fine arts exhibit is in is lovely, classic New Mexico-style architecture, but small for the volume of work entered. The paintings are hung close together and high up the walls to accommodate them all. When we finally found my painting I was disappointed at the placement of it. Hung high and crowded, it was hard to get a vantage point to really look at it. I'm not feeling picked on, there are quite a few very good paintings displayed in similar places. There simply isn't room to display all of the pieces well. However, I learned some important things from this experience- things I'll write about after I've processed this some more. In the meantime, I feel good knowing I finally put some work in the fair. Oh, and be assured I had permission to take this photo! 

Thanks for stopping by! Alice


2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Our art is like a part of us and we certainly don't want to be put in the corner so it's hard to see our work hung badly. I had the same experience with a watercolor show - my piece was hung too low and it was a bad viewing area = not good for anyone to even stay and look. But it still helps to get your work out (and sometimes to volunteer for the hanging committee, if you can! ha ha). I think your work still has enough color and pop to draw attention so best of luck and may this just be the first of many shows you'll put your paintings in.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Thanks, Rhonda!