Friday, September 11, 2015

Landscaping With Gouache

After work today I decided to play with the gouache paints.  Just play.  No pressure.  While they are a really tough medium to adjust to, I have to admit I had fun.  I realize how much I have to learn about them and might even enjoy learning this.  Might, I said.
I first laid in the foundation color, including putting the same yellow into the sky area as I used in the foreground. 

The view outside of my studio was calling, so I tried it again.  If you've been reading my blog for long, you've seen this view before in other practice paintings.  However, this might be the most colorful incarnation of it yet.  The gouache paints dry darker and more intense than I'm used to!  With transparent watercolor you beef up the chroma because it will dry lighter.  From what I am reading, I understand that the lights in gouache dry lighter and the darks dry darker.  Try that for confusing!
Fascinating process, putting opaque over transparent.  New way of thinking and planning as I go.  Not that I have it figured out; I don't.  I can see, though, that it will require being on my toes.

Now I've got the bit in my teeth; I'm ready to work with this some more.  If it's a fight or fun, either way it's a learning process.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice



1 comment:

RH Carpenter said...

It turned out beautifully!! Really powerful color that works. Keep going, who knows where it will take you?