Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Play


Today's assignment was posted on the dry erase board.  We needed to learn about line.  The students could choose one or more coloring page and color it with line only.  My examples were fun to make and I looked forward to what the students would come up with.

The assignment

It was satisfying to watch the colors and ideas they came up with to fulfill the assignment, making things colors they weren't, or changing lines from horizontal to vertical.  They seemed to enjoy this. 

How a couple of the students decided to work.  Nice and careful work.  They all did a beautiful job on their pieces.

However, seeing what one student came up with was such a great reminder to me.  He really played.  He didn't worry about realistic color or shape, he created.  I was so excited to see his work and the way he interpreted the project.  He really got into the concept of line.  

However, this student took it and ran with it, turning it from a coloring project to art.

Made me think; I don't usually play much in my studio.  I worry too much about how 'good' my work will be and get right into planning ahead on how I want it to look, how I'll handle each passage and what color palette to use.  This student went with the moment and made a piece that was a real expression of how he was feeling.  It reminded me that I have a job-  I don't have to worry about selling paintings.  I can just come out to the studio and do whatever takes my imagination.  I can play,  and should- and that is delicious to anticipate.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Very interesting work by all. The student who took the assignment beyond what it could have been has a real talent for coloring outside the lines :) It must be fun to watch kids grow and explore and play - and, yes, reminds us to do just that sometimes and not get so wrapped up in the outcome :) Have a great weekend...

Alice Jo Webb said...

It is fun. It's turning out to be a rewarding thing for me. Hard as heck, but good. Thanks, Rhonda.