Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Drawing Is Theraputic

While teaching my eighth-grade students about eyes today, I grabbed a piece of paper to use as a demo for what I was trying to explain. We kept working on their projects and they turned out some pretty good ones. After the bell rang and everybody left for home I sat back down at my scratch paper and started to doodle, something I rarely have time for. Before I knew it, I had been sitting in my classroom in the peace and quiet, drawing for an hour! It was enjoyable. 


Yeah, I know, it's not  a masterpiece, but it sure was calming to do. 

I drew a lot as a kid. I did some drawing as a young mother, too but I haven't done much pencil work in the last 15 years or so. To just sit down and let my mind wander while I worked on a sketch was relaxing. Once I was finished I gathered my things and headed home feeling considerably less stressed than I usually do. I haven't fretted about work all evening. Silly me, I seem to learn the same lessons over and over again, don't I?  Creating things is good for my spirit. Just a silly doodle thing full of flaws but something about making it was cathartic. I feel pretty good. I hope you do too. 

Thanks for stopping by!  Alice

2 comments:

Juliana said...

I love the eyes looking up from the desk!

Alice Jo Webb said...

Fun to have you stop by! I'm a lousy communicator lately... and a bit overwhelmed.