Monday, September 14, 2015

Maybe I Like Gouache

This is fascinating paint.  Hmm, I was worried there for a bit that my dread of it would keep me from painting indefinitely.  Gouache actually is watercolor with less planning.  I say less planning because if I want to, I can add white to my paint and cover an area that I would have had to leave empty till I was ready to tackle it.  Sort of.  Make sense?  No...    

The Storm Approaches
Gouache
7" x 10"
The paint on the foreground wasn't dry when I took this picture, as you can see in the bushes.  I have no patience.  

Let me put it this way; if I wanted a deep sky with transparent watercolor, I would have to leave the highlights white or mask them.  That leaves hard lines sometimes, so that has to be factored in.  On this painting, I went very dark then added highlights on top of it with a yellowed down white paint mixture.  It is an additive process, I can layer with opaque color and go lighter.  With transparent paint, you can only go darker.  So far, that's the main difference I find.  I'm not abandoning my true painting love, transparent watercolor, just learning some new techniques to make things interesting.  Isn't painting a gas?  Well, you know, when it works, that is.  

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful!!!

Alice Jo Webb said...

Thank you!

Alice Jo Webb said...

So glad you like it.

RH Carpenter said...

Looks great! You are learning a lot every time you use the opaques.