Saturday, February 7, 2015

The Red Pitcher

While we worked in the mountains this past week, a friend allowed us to use her vacation house near the job site.  In her kitchen windowsill stands a pitcher that caught my eye as soon as I entered the room.  Thick and heavy, it is hand-thrown and almost rustic in its coat of speckled red glaze. I found myself wandering back in to stand gazing at it several times over the course of our stay, caught by the pleasant shape and size of it.  Standing nearly 18" tall, it has presence.

13.5" x 8"
The Red Pitcher in my large watercolor journal

Finally, I just had to get a sketch of it.  There is something about it that speaks to me, although I don't know what that something is.  Maybe it's how elegant it appeared on first glance and then how rustic it seemed after closer inspection.  The grooves in the sides left by the potter's fingers could add to its charm; I don't know, but I do know the piece makes me happy.

I didn't realize I had allowed the red paint to seep under the pages onto this piece.
I know how to fix it;  I am just not sure if I will.  I kind of like it.  

I have no idea why some things capture my imagination or what I will take a fancy to, but I do know that when I see those things, my mind won't be at rest until I've expressed that feeling.  Then, they are a joy to just look at and enjoy 'owning' them in my little books.  

Thank you for looking at my work and have a great day!   

1 comment:

RH Carpenter said...

Love both of these paintings and the long vertical format of the pages. I would leave the red in the trees, too, as it adds a little extra surprise color there. Beautiful work!