Saturday, February 28, 2015

Featuring Andra Jensen


Today, I want to introduce you to my friend, Andra Jensen.  A true artist, Andra is also a gifted teacher of art skills, giving her students confidence to reach their potential.  Soft-spoken and gentle, her personality shines out in her work.  I asked her to tell me a little bit about herself and received the following: 

I am Andra Jensen, and my passion is watercolor. I love the beautiful papers and the transparency of the paints. My trademark is using watercolor to create the softest effects possible. My subject matter is often influenced by my love of the past, especially geology, classic cars, and family history. 
'Firetruck'
Painted for the artist's brother-in-law, a fire fighter

I grew up in Arizona, where it was my good fortune to be surrounded by amazing desert colors and lots of great Mexican food. When I was three years old, I sold my first work to my grandfather for five cents. My family has continued to support my art pursuits, education, and participation in art competitions. I have been honored with awards at the student competition at BYU-Idaho and also from the Art Guild of Eastern Arizona.

'Winter Afternoon'
Watercolor
I received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from BYU-Idaho. Currently, I am an instructor in the art department at Eastern Arizona College where I am on a crusade to teach color harmony through the use of limited palettes (using only a few simple colors at a time.)
'Old Car'
Watercolor

I have a dream of someday traveling the British Isles, painting and teaching workshops there. But wherever I am, I am sure I will still be teaching, and still loving watercolor.
Living in cotton growing country, Jensen recently took a closer look at cotton plants and blossoms.  The result of that can be seen below:

'White Cotton Flower'
Watercolor

Although primarily a watercolor painter, Jensen's love of soft edges and light is often expressed in oils as well.  Whenever I see a painting by her, I feel a sense of peace and tranquility, qualities she possesses in abundance.  

"Candle"
Oil on canvas

I hope you love her work as much as I do.  Andra hasn't got a web page yet, but when that day arrives, be sure that I'll be adding a link to it here!  

'Poppy'
Oil on canvas

Come back to Whatercolorit again and thanks for stopping by!   Alice





No comments: