Sunday, February 22, 2015

Painting Makeovers

I spent the day with my daughter, daughter in law and granddaughters yesterday.  We took on a fun project that I just had to share.  After seeing a video someone had shared on Facebook about a woman who took the nasty Bratz dolls and gave them wholesome makeovers, the girls just had to try it.

Fresh (hmmm, you may take that how ever you choose) out of their shipping box.
Looks like a group of teens under the tender care of a pimp, poor things. 
After looking through all of their local thrift stores for used dolls, they finally hit pay dirt on Ebay.  A whole box of dolls, clothes and feet.  Yes, I meant feet.  Evidently these dolls don't get permanent feet; you have to change their shoes by popping the whole foot/shoe off and putting on another one.  Who knew?  It's been years since I bought/made dolls for my daughter and I would never in a million years have offered one of these nightmares for a child I loved.  This is a whole new world to this old gal.

To me this is just creepy.  
Using fingernail polish remover, we rubbed their terrifying little faces off and washed them.  Even without features, they looked better already.  Who on this great, green earth decided these were a good idea?  They look like the stuff of nightmares to me!

The make-overs begin. My two year old grandson named this doll, 'Guy' and loves him dearly. 
We painted their new faces on with acrylic inks and tiny brushes.  It's hard to get straight, even lines painted on with a whole gaggle of excited little people dying to get in on the action.  Nevertheless, we got new faces on and the dolls, clutched to the hearts of their news friends, promptly headed upstairs, footless, to the playroom.

The difference is startling.  Now they look like toys for children to love. Well, except for that poor kid on the right.  He is not possessed, however, he's just waiting for his turn in the eye surgery line.
With the kids out from underfoot it was time to pull the saw out to alter their feet into something a bit more natural and child-like.  I'm terrified of the saw, but my daughter is not the coward her mother is.  In five minutes we had a whole pile of feet ready to snap back onto their legs.  Not creepy anymore.
Cutting the shoe/feet thingies into more realistic shapes and sizes

Ah, now that's more like it.  A bit of cleaning up and a sole painted on and we have cute sandals.
To tell the truth, it made me want to get on Ebay and find a new doll for myself.  What in the world I'd do with a new doll is beyond me, but today I remembered how much I loved my own dolls way back when Raggedy Ann was my best pal.  Maybe for a minute I wanted to re-capture that, who knows?  What I do know is this, I will enjoy watching these ladies make more appropriate clothes and a house for the new dolls over the coming weeks.  Such a fun way to spend the day.

Thanks for stopping by.  Alice



Just three kids off to play with their friends






4 comments:

Marquette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marquette said...

Dang it, it showed my comment posted twice so I deleted one and apparently there was only one comment. Anyway...I said Great Job! Those look amazing! Such a drastic difference between the before and after photos.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Isn't it? They're quite charming when they're all done.

Dawn said...

Thank you for ridding the world of that many BRATZ dolls. Hideous.