Friday, February 13, 2015

San Xavier del Bac Mission, Tucson, AZ

We are on a little jaunt to explore a bit this weekend. We got to the mission this evening during sunset and wandered around awhile. An artist could spend a lifetime painting this one subject alone.

I'm working on my iPad on the Blogger app tonight, so there's no telling how this will format.

San Xavier del Bac Mission

Hopefully tomorrow we can go back and tour the inside. I've wanted to for years. 

We wandered around to the rear of the complex. As beautiful from this side. 

There isn't a view of it that isn't captivating. I'm dying to get my little sketchbook out and get to work, but I'm resting my arm and being very adult about it. 


My favorite old Catholic Church has been the cathedral in Santa Fe built by archbishop Lamy, but this one may have topped it. 


The warm, sunlit front is so beautiful next to the cool, blue shadows. I can't wait to see inside, but even more, I can't wait to try some paintings based on this visit. 



2 comments:

Marquette said...

San Xavier is one of my favorite spots. So many fun choir, photography, and "killing time" memories there. You'll love the inside!

Alice Jo Webb said...

Boy, you were right, I did love the inside. I love to see how colonial people 'made-do' with what they could get. They were used to the culture of Europe and the products of the craftsmen there, but they did some pretty spectacular things in the new world anyway.