Thursday, February 12, 2015

In Which I Drive 120 Miles for a Haircut

We drive looong distances here for goods and services.  Today I needed to do some business in town and get a hair cut, so I grabbed my travel kit and off I went.  

This desert willow has stood here for as many years as I can remember.  The drought may have finally done it in, I'm afraid.  Even desert plants have to get a drink now and then.  

My beautician is a 120 mile round trip drive away, so I took a picnic and stopped on a dirt road to sketch while I snacked.  My landscapes are almost always low down on the horizon line because one is able to see nearly 60 miles in any direction and our skies are huge.  

Looking at the last mountain range before the road passes into Arizona.  Our Februaries are often warm and sunny, but this year is down right hot already.  

On the way home I noticed the cloud shadows were nearly the same value and color as the sky, so I stopped and turned out a quick record of it.  One of these days this cloud idea will appear in a painting.  In the meantime, I'm having a hard time resting this stupid arm.  There are so many things I want to do!  

   

No comments: