Thursday, February 26, 2015

Home Sweet Home- or- The Neighbors Suspect!

I've been wanting a page in my sketchbook that shows the contrasts to be found in shelter.  I'm not sure why, I just thought it'd be an interesting thing to compare.  Yesterday I taught a drawing class in a town 75 miles from me, so I left early and spent some time drawing houses.  
Shelter, one from each end of the spectrum in my part of the world
It was surprising to see the reactions of the people who lived near each house.  I sat in my car, the windows down and worked on my lap.  On the mobile home street I was given dirty looks and hard stares by the neighbors.  The woman who lived in the house I was drawing gave me a quick look and hurried into her house when she got home.  I'm not sure they'd have been any easier in their minds if they'd have realized how harmless I was sitting there drawing.  I suspect if you live in deep enough poverty anybody would feel like a potential threat.

A nervous, but pretty neighborhood, 5" x 8"
In the neighborhood with more comfortable houses I didn't feel any more welcome.  Someone got into a car to drive by and check me out. Then, they turned the car around, parked it and went back into their house.  After about 15 minutes, a police officer came by, rolled his window down, looked me right in the eye and drove away without a word.  What if I had gotten my easel and folding stool out and set up on the sidewalk to work?  Would it have changed attitudes?  I'll have to give it a try.  
Home sweet home, lean but clean, 5" x 8"
While all of that was amusing, finishing the drawings was no simple matter.  I had taken my watercolors out of the bag to put new paint into them and left them home.  On the desk.  Sigh.. One of these days I'll get it all together at the same time.  It was a fun afternoon anyway.  I got some color in with a couple of Graphitint pencils from the bottom of the bag and was able to add the last of the it when I got home.  Life is good and my 'contrast' page is done.  

I'm so glad you took some time to spend here today, come again.  Alice

No comments: