Sunday, August 2, 2015

Painter of Gardens, Jo Reitze

I came across this lovely little clip of painter, Jo Reitze on Youtube while looking for instruction on using gouache.  Her style captivated me and I knew I wanted to learn more about her and her paintings.  The loose, flowing way she handles the paints looks deceptively simple; I would love to follow her around and watch her process for a few weeks.  Here is someone who could teach me about gouache.  I knew I had to send her an email.


In response to my email asking if I could use a photo of one of her paintings, Reitze sent me a beautiful image of one of her succulent paintings to share here.  Warm and friendly, Reitze works are as vibrant as I can see she is.  She captures wonderful light and texture, but the thing I feel most from her works is movement.  I love her technique. The blending is done in the viewer's eye with the colors laying on the paper next to each other.  

Jo Reitze, painted with gouache.  And style!  

Although she doesn't have a studio, she has found a wonderful and creative approach to solving that issue.  She paints in people's gardens.  To be more precise, she paints people's gardens.  Working on commission from the garden owners, she has beautiful places to work and a never ending supply of subjects.  It's a brilliant idea and suits her painting style to a T.  

If you'd like to see more of her work and read about her experiences, you can visit her page HERE.  I suspect you'll be as drawn to these works as I have been.  

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Alice for including my work on your interesting blog and sharing my work with your readers. I have been working on a large oil 122x91.5cm of our winter garden viewed through a tangled web of wisteria branches. This has been cold work as yesterday in wintry Melbourne we barely reached 11 degrees. I should finish This painting today so am looking forward to painting in gouache later this week. I initially worked in oils and commenced using gouache after finding oils difficult to use when travelling. Since 1988 probably most of my work has been in this medium as I can achieve the same strong tonal contrasts without the mess. Happy painting
Regards Jo
Jo Reitze paints your garden

Alice Jo Webb said...

I'll be watching your website for the new painting! Thank you for coming to whatercolorit.