Sunday, August 16, 2015

Finding My Tribe

Living in the  middle of nowhere has its benefits, but having a peer group of art-minded people is certainly not one of them.  I was thinking of this today after my daughter called, discouraged because the homeschool group she is trying to belong to has been a bit exclusive.  You know the gig, the popular girls set the rules and anyone who doesn't strictly conform gets to hang around the fringes on sufferance.  Because of the isolated places we have lived, I have dealt with this attitude in several aspects of my life.  Let's face it, being different may be liberating but it can get lonely.
The old Cloverdale Store, south of us along the Mexican Border.  This photo is a good illustration of the sparse population and far distances we drive.  


I've tried joining things like art guilds in distant cities or working to fit in to the local social hierarchy, but trying to participate from hundreds of miles away or be someone I'm not has never worked.  Now, lest you think this is a pity-me party, let me assure you that it's not.  It's just a reality that I've had to work to get around over the years.  I love wide, open spaces and choose to live here.  My neighbors are very kind and generous people- we just don't feel the same way about art.
The view from my yard.  Our cloudscapes can't be beaten!  There are about 12 neighbors between us and those far distant hills.  Room to breathe. 

My answer to the problem is this: I try take the people around me just like I find them, find common ground and make friends- and I have some wonderful friends here- but make a community of my own where I can feed off of and share ideas with like-minded people.  We live in a wonderful age where one can find all of that in the comfort of one's own studio.  You, dear reader, are part of that for me and my daughter will find her own version of this.  Just in case you are in the same boat for whatever reason, here are some great links to internet resources that feed my inner artist:

This isn't even a drop in the bucket.  I have blogger friends who I have come to care about and who's work I learn from, not to mention the support they give to me.  I email with others and even have a phone friend that I send and receive texts with photos of our works in progress.  If I moved to a more populated place and had artistic people to surround myself with, I would still keep the connections I've made over the years online.  My tribe is right here, on my computer.  

Thanks for stopping by, tribe!  Alice



4 comments:

Anna Lisa said...

Very cool old house! Though we live a state away, you feel like part of my tribe! Thanks for your shares and thoughts.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Yep, you're in my tribe!

RH Carpenter said...

This is the best thing about the internet - the communication with like-minded others and the ability to find new "friends" and "blogger buddies" just by being attentive and commenting...and sharing. We make a pretty good tribe whether we ever meet in person, or not!

Alice Jo Webb said...

Yes we do!