Sunday, August 9, 2015

Let's Evoke!

Evocative.  Now there's a word for you.  Do you ever hear it in real conversation?  I've read it plenty, but can't remember anyone much using it.  What a shame, maybe we should.  Artists, of all people have the power to evoke.  Webster says of the word: "bringing thoughts, memories, or feelings into the mind."


Maynard Dixon may never have been in my county before, but he has managed to capture a scene from my childhood.  He always does.  My top, number one go-to for inspiration.
I think when someone looks at a painting, or sculpture or other piece of creative work, they can connect with it in some way.  I have connected with paintings done in styles I didn't think I could relate to because they struck a chord in my memory or emotions.  I always hope when someone sees a work of mine, it will evoke a feeling in them for a moment or more that will create a connection between us.  Pretty lofty goal, but someday I will be able to create that way.  I hope.

Shadowed Walls, by Ed Mell- I love the lowlight.  Here in the southwest, it is familiar with its dark shadows and vivid light areas.
In the meantime, I continue to look at the images of other painters, ones who I hope to gain influence from.  Even though I may never paint like they do, I can learn from their color palettes, their painting styles and brush strokes, even from what they chose to paint.  It's that way in everything; we can learn from those who have mastered what we are choosing to make.  We aren't borrowing or even copying with all of the weak connotations those words give.  We are incorporating and trying to pick up where they left off.  It is a chain and can be a  powerful tool.
Canyon Riders, by Edgar Payne.  This piece takes my breath away.  I can look at it over and over again and never tire of it.  It makes my heart ache not only for the country he portrays, but for the amazing audacity it took to paint this dramatically.  

I am preparing to start a landscape binge again, looking at art from the southwest to gain insight on how different problems were handled.  So far my landscapes have fallen short of my vision; however, one of these days, it will all come together and I will see my work reaching what I dream of it becoming.  In the meantime, I keep coming back to the word evocative and asking myself how these masters managed to evoke my responses.  The quest continues...

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: