Saturday, August 8, 2015

El Modelo

In an obscure part of Albuquerque, down by the tracks, is a wonderful Mexican food place.  Not a restaurant, not a taco stand- it's more like a food factory with a customer counter.  My grandpa used to work downtown and go there to get his lunch.  Now his kids and grandkids love to go to El Modelo for a stuffed sopapilla or a burrito and some chicharones.  He has 62 grandkids and a gazillion great grandkids and great greats...  Yeah, there's a bunch of us.  And those of us lucky enough to live where we can get to this place now and then are carrying on the tradition.

Just looking at the menu makes me hungry..
Last week we were there, standing in a very long line (lunch time gets pretty crazy) and up ahead of me I swore I saw the back of my Uncle James head in front of me.  When he turned around, it WAS my uncle James.  The one from Utah.  Standing next to him were my Aunt Mary and Uncle Clay- from Tucson.  Aunt Pat was waiting out of the crowd behind me.  Okay, I hadn't seen them for years and years, lots of years, and there they were.  Home, getting their genetically programmed fix.  Same as my husband and I.    

Only 5" x 7," Lunchtime at El Modelo makes me happy.  I rarely work this small, but it was fun to do.
We ate at a table under the trees outside and caught up on family news, took pictures and got panhandled while we ate.  All part of the experience.  It was a lovely lunch, one that I'll remember for a long time.  I started this little painting as we got on the road, but it was too detailed to work on in the car.  Today, I took an hour or so and cranked this little thing out, a memento of a great time.  Sometimes, you just have to do that.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

 

2 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Great story and great painting. We have only been to El Modelo once. I'm not sure why, guess we like to go sit down and be waited on. Smiling. New Mexico food is so unique.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Isn't it, though? Chile rellenos for lunch today!