Friday, August 16, 2013

Town day..

I live in the middle of nowhere.  When we go to town, we GO to town!  Today was a town day, no painting, no creativity unless you call turning 100.00 into groceries being creative. . .   me neither.  I just call that a drag.  $500.00 into groceries, now that would be more like fun!  I digress..

After the painting blitz of yesterday, I needed a break anyway and my library books were nearly two weeks overdue.  Yeah, I know.  It's been a wild summer.  You can't own 6 kids and their 3 (so far) spouses and 8 grandkids and spend much time worrying about what day your library books are due.  But, school is starting back up and I will get organized.  As organized as my right brain can handle without fritzing out.

I've been going back over paintings and looking at the journey so far.  I have to admit that going to college has been worth all of the bother and expense.  I have learned so much and am looking forward to learning more.  I wouldn't have learned this much at home.  In my studio I can dink around, snack, check my email or Facebook or wander off in search of some obscure thing.  When I have paid money and am being held to a performance standard, I perform.  Period.  What a great lesson on discipline it has been.

So, living in the boonies means I get to go to town 2 or 3 days a week for school.  140 miles round trip.  Here we go again, with homework, deadlines, juggling home life with school life and don't forget online classes!  The bane of my life.  And?  Get to the point.  The point is, even though I get tired of the drive and come home with my legs aching from sitting so long and have to pick up food and run errands around class schedules because I am "in town," I am grateful for the chance to go to school.  Grateful to keep learning things that have made my art and my life so much more interesting.  Mostly grateful for a husband who just sweetly supports me and tries to make things easier on me.

Here is one of my favorite paintings from a class.  It is 22x30 inches and done with soft pastel. The first piece in which I ever super-sized my subjects.  I was hooked and am still doing it today.


No comments: